Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Hmmm...what to do with these...
















...so I walk to work everyday, which is very pleasant. I work about 4 blocks from my house, and could argueably have one of the best commutes in the Bay Area. I get to walk, it's not very far from home, and the weather is never very extreme, so it's usually quite nice... to be home from work 15 minutes after you left? Bliss!
...anyway, I digress. So, part of my walk everyday is by the Flower Market, which is San Francisco's wholesale flower "district". It is about 1 block away from my house. I always enjoy walking by in the mornings, because the nurseries and farms are doing their deliveries, and you can see the florists carting all these great flowers around and into their shops. I walk by all the back doors to the shops, so I really get to see what is being delivered. It is very interesting to see what is in season and you can definitely tell when it's wedding season!
...ANYWAY, as you might imagine, there are always "remnants" of the morning's deliveries that linger on the sidewalk and on some carts as I walk by. Sometime's there'll be entire bunches of flowers thrown away...apparently not making the cut ( no pun intended). I often feel sorry for these poor flowers and want to take them home (they look perfectly fine to me, but then again, I'm no florist!). Most of the time, however, there are just interesting bits and pieces strewn on the sidewalk.

I have found it very interesting to "document" these bits and pieces and have been photographing them as I walk to work... I am thinking about using the photos in a collage of color perhaps for some gift bag tags or something. But I also like the backdrop of the sidewalk...very urban...Maybe I'll just make them into cards somehow.

...but I'm still not sure what I should do with these photos...










No comments:

Post a Comment